The Peninsula of Maraú is one of the most beautiful and preserved places in the south of Bahia, with deserted beaches and perfect natural pools.Knowing what to do there is easy, but it is common to have doubts about where to stay in Barra Grande and Taipu de Fora, the two main beaches in Maraú.
Know that Barra Grandeis the most famous and sought after area in Maraú (at the northern tip of the peninsula), as it concentrates inns, restaurants and shops.This area has calm seas that reach Ponta do Mutá, at the mouth of the Orojó River.
Taipu de Forais in the middle of the peninsula, facing the open sea.That’s where the natural pools are at low tide (new and full moon!).But its structure is much smaller when compared to Barra Grande.
Next, we’ll show you the positives and disadvantages of each beach for staying on the Maraú Peninsula, with suggestions for accommodations for all budgets , including economic ones.
Where to stay in Barra Grande and Taipu de Fora?Best B&Bs in Barra Grande and Taipu de Fora
Where to stay in Barra Grande and Ponta do Mutá?
Barra Grande Beach is the best beach to stay on the Maraú Peninsulafor those who like to be close to restaurants and shops.
Even though the place is rustic, there is a good offer of places to enjoy the night.In addition, it is easier to find budget hostels in Barra Grande.
Ponta do Mutá is the northernmost area of the peninsula, just a few minutes’ walk from Barra Grande, with guesthouses and a an unforgettable sunset.
Close to the Ponta is Praia Três Coqueiros, facing the open sea and, therefore, with more waves.The sea at Barra Grande and Ponta do Mutá is calm, ideal for children.
Considering the disadvantages, there can be noise in the more central inns, but there are many quiet accommodations.
Besides In addition, the northern region of Maraú is 7.5 km from Taipu de Fora and 22 km from Algodões Beach.But be aware that there are bibs (public transport type) and ATVs for rent.
Those who come by regular car should already be aware of the poor condition of the road, which makes it impossible to take a tour with a car other than a 4×4.
We did a thorough research and selected the best hostels in Barra Grande and Ponta do Mutá.
Best hostels in Barra Grande and Ponta do Mutá
- Shangri-la Hostel: bed in dormitory with daily rate from R$50. Shangri-la Hostel is a hostel in Barra Grande with great service, ample space, green areas and good prices.
- Ganga Zumba Pousada & Hostel: bed in dormitory with daily rate from R$ 60.In addition, there are options for private rooms.
- Pousada Meu Sossego: double room starting at R$130. Pousada Meu Sossego is a cheap hostel in Barra Grande. if for the location close to the restaurants, but far enough to not have noise.The accommodations are praised even though they are simple.
- Pousada Galeão Santa Anna: double room starting at R$150. Pousada Galeão Santa Anna is the best accommodation in Barra Grande in this range with great service, beautiful outdoor areas and praised breakfast.
- Ravenalas – Barra Grande: 1-bedroom apartment starting at R$170. This accommodation is ideal for those looking for apartments in Barra Grande at great prices.The apartments are well equipped and also have a good location.
- Pousada Villa Mares: double room starting at R$170. Pousada Villa Mares stands out for its perfect service and location. close to the restaurants in Barra Grande.Rooms are simple but good.
- Flat Barra: 1 bedroom apartment starting at R$190. Flat Barra is another good option for where to stay in nearby Barra Grande from the center in a well-equipped apartment.Breakfast is also praised.In the same price range, there are the new and very clean studios at Flat Barra Mar, located 15 min.walking distance from the center of Barra Grande, ideal for those seeking tranquility on Três Coqueiros Beach.
- Apoema Suites and Flats: double room starting at R$200. Apoema Suites and Flats is an inn in Ponta do Mutá with double rooms and well-equipped studios.Guests praise the perfect service, in addition to the homemade breakfast.In the same price range, there is the highly praised Pousada Brisa Da Barra, another inn on the Maraú Peninsula with excellent service.Its location is close to the center of Barra Grande.
- Pôr do Sol Eco Suítes: double room starting at R$230. Pôr do Sol Eco Suítes is a guesthouse in Barra Large with views to the sea (meeting the river), being a quiet place and still close to the center.In the same price range, there is the Pousada Tortuga, next to Três Coqueiros Beach, which stands out for its service and green areas.Without a doubt, it’s a place to rest.
- Morada das Palmeiras: double room starting at R$250. Morada das Palmeiras is an excellent guesthouse in Barra Grande, close to from Ponta do Mutá.The place is quiet and the owners receive very well, and the service is considered exceptional.The inn’s internet connection is also very good.
- Pousada Canto do Sol: double room starting at R$270. Pousada Canto do Sol is one of the inns on the Maraú Peninsula more reserved, standing out for the design of the rooms, good outdoor areas and central location in Barra Grande.In the same price range and located in the heart of downtown, there is Galeria & Suites Canto do Sol.
- Carapitangui Flats: double room with a daily rate from R$ 300. Carapitangui Flats is a very beautiful inn in Barra Grande, with a great structure, including a swimming pool.The rooms are spacious and the inn is well located.In the same price range, there is the Pousada Mediterraneo, facing the sea in Barra Grande.
- Aqualtune Pousada: double room from R$ 350. Aqualtune Pousada is one of the best inns on the Maraú Peninsula, with a lot of tranquility, beautiful rooms and homemade breakfast.In addition, the service is perfect and full of travel tips.
- Nirvana Beach Hotel: double room starting at R$400. Nirvana Beach Hotel is a guesthouse located in Ponta do Mutá, which is highly praised for its location and service.
- Pousada Denada: double room with a daily rate from R$450. Pousada Denada faces the sea in Barra Grande , being highly sought after by those seeking comfort, great location and accommodation with a highly praised restaurant.
- KA BRU Beach Boutique Hotel: double room starting at R$650. THE KA BRU Beach Boutique Hotel is a modern hotel with a great restaurant, ideal for relaxing, and another excellent choice for where to stay in Barra Grande.