Monterey is not as well known as San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles, but it is a beautiful city, with many great tours to be had. It is worth dedicating at least two days to the region. In this post, we are going to give you tips so you know where to stay in Monterey.
Basically, there are three areas of where to stay in Monterey:
- Cannery Row;
- Old Fisherman’s Wharf;
- Pacific Grove.
Each of these places has positives and negatives, which we show below, including hotel tips for all budgets!
Where to stay in Monterey
Cannery Row is the coolest street in Monterey, with great restaurants, shops and hotels.
For those looking for a central location, with easy access to the city’s entertainment, there’s no better place to stay in Monterey than Cannery Row.
For those without a car, it is highly recommended to stay within walking distance of Cannery Row, as it makes getting around very easy.
In terms of accommodation, there are many hotels with quality and price range, as you can see below:
- HI Monterey Hostel: bed in dormitory starting at US$ 30. For those looking for a cheap place to stay in Monterey, one of the best alternatives is the HI Monterey Hostel. The hostel is not for partying, so it can please even travelers who are not used to hostels. Its location is great, just a few meters from Cannery Row.
- Cannery Row Inn: double room starting at US$ 110. The Cannery Row Inn is a simple hotel with traditional decor. The hotel’s great advantage is having a great location for a very good daily rate for Monterey standards.
- Best Western Plus Victorian Inn: Double room from US$140. The Best Western Plus Victorian Inn is good value for money in Monterey. With spacious, classic-style accommodations and a super central location, the Best Western Plus Victorian Inn is good value for money.
- Spindrift Inn: double room starting at US$ 160. Located on Cannery Row, the Spindrift Inn is a hotel with good accommodations, but classically decorated. For the area, the Spindrift Inn has good prices.
- InterContinental The Clement Monterey: double room starting at US$ 220. InterContinental The Clement Monterey is the best hotel in Monterey. With clean, modern design, incredible ocean views and great accommodations, the InterContinental is a great choice for where to stay in Monterey. In the same price range, there is the excellent Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spabut with more classic decor.
Old Fisherman’s Wharf
Old Fisherman’s Wharf is just 1.5 km from Cannery Row, making it an area that every visitor in Monterey must know.
There is tourist structure in this region, the main issue is that the hotels in the vicinity of Old Fisherman’s Wharf do not have much quality. The best hotels are shown below:
- Days Inn by Wyndham Monterey Downtown: double room starting at US$ 100. The Days Inn by Wyndham Monterey Downtown is located 700 meters from Old Fisherman’s Wharf, being a cheap hotel option in Monterey.
- Munras Inn: double room starting at US$ 120. Munras Inn is a mile away from Old Fisherman’s Wharf, but has good accommodations at good prices for Monterey standards.
- Merritt House Inn: double room starting at US$ 130. The Merritt House Inn is a simple inn, but very well located, being ideal for those who want a central location, just a few meters from the Old Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa: double room starting at US$ 160. Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa is a good quality hotel, 500 meters from Old Fisherman’s Wharf. In the same price range, location and quality, there is the Hotel Abrego.
For those who have a car and prefer tranquility and beautiful views of the sea, a great option is to stay in Pacific Grove.
Pacific Grove is a small town just outside of Monterey., just 2 kilometers from Cannery Row. It is a city with more than half of the residences considered historic, that is, a place that yields beautiful photos.
In addition, there are good hotels in Pacific Grove, several with interesting prices, as you can see below:
- Butterfly Grove Inn: double room starting at US$ 100. The Butterfly Grove Inn is a great option on where to stay in Monterey on the cheap, as it has good accommodations at excellent prices for the area.
- Pacific Gardens Inn: double room starting at US$ 130. The Pacific Gardens Inn has good accommodations, praised service and a location close to the beach.
- Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove: double room from US$ 140. The Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove is one of the best value for money hotels in Pacific Grove, as it has well decorated rooms and good location.
- Seven Gables Inn: Double room starting at US$ 230. The Seven Gables Inn is a boutique hotel with beautiful sea views. With classic style and a perfect location, between Pacific Grove and Cannery Row, the Seven Gables Inn is an excellent option for those looking for sophistication.
Other hotels in Monterey
If you have a car, you can stay in Monterey outside the central areas, especially if you want to save money.
Always pay attention to the value of parking, after all, the hotel can be cheaper, but charge for parking, breakfast and other services.
A good option is Lone Oak Lodge, which is just two miles from Old Fisherman’s Wharf. Lone Oak Lodge has clean rooms, parking available and good prices, with doubles starting at $100.
Two other good options are: Monterey Bay Lodgedouble room from US$ 105, and the Hotel 1110with a double room starting at $125. These two hotels are just a mile from Old Fisherman’s Wharf.
Another hosting tip is to use the Airbnb website for renting rooms, studios or apartments. There are more than 300 accommodations in Monterey on Airbnb, mainly in the neighborhoods near Cannery Row.
Using the our Airbnb link (click here)you get a credit of R$ 130 to use on your first hosting on the site.
Map with the best hotels in Monterey
Check the map for the location of all the hotels in Monterey mentioned in this post.
By reserving your accommodation through the Booking links in the post or through the search box on the right menu of the site, you help maintain the Digital Nomad Guide and do not pay a penny more for your accommodation. Thank you!
We hope our tips on where to stay in Monterey have been helpful!
Have a good trip, traveller!
Use our Booking link to get the best deals on hotels, inns and hostels.
Booking offers many advantages: low prices, free cancellation of reservations, no reservation fee is charged and payment is usually made only at the time of check-in or check-out at the accommodation.
Found a hotel but not sure if it’s well located? Take the guesswork out with this free tool. She will analyze the location, according to a specific methodology, and assign a grade.
It is worth mentioning that the best possible area to stay is that pleasant, safe area, with access to public transport, restaurants and close to the main tourist attractions.
The Hotel Selector is an online tool, completely free of charge, that selects the hotels, hostels, apartments, inns and country houses that best suit the traveler’s profile. Through a mathematical method, the Hotel Selector discovers the perfect hotels for you in any city in the world.
The only thing that travelers should do is list (from 1 to 5) their priorities in relation to the characteristics of the hotels. What is the order of importance of hotel features for the traveler? For example: better location, lower price, higher quality, more reserved and hotel size.
Rentcars is a price comparison tool to find the best car rental rate in over 140 countries.
There are several advantages to using the service: there is no IOF charge, you can pay in installments, there are many rental companies compared and there is no charge for issuing your reservation.
In addition, by default are included in Rentcars daily rates: free mileage, basic protection and the rental company’s administrative fees.
Confused about which travel insurance to buy? SegurosPromo is a travel insurance comparator that helps you find the best prices from the main insurers.
Use our link to get the lowest prices, as well as the NOMADEDIGITAL5 discount coupon to get 5% off.
The Chat Travel Podcast is a free audio travel guide about various destinations we know.
We tell you about our experience in the cities and give you tips on where to stay, best time to travel, attractions and much more.
You know when you use a travel checklist and find that your luggage is missing some items?
We have selected important products that we use and recommend that you take with you on your trip. They are featured in the Traveler’s Shop